Friday, March 12, 2010

Tamales: Why I love Mexicans

If you've never had an authentic, Mexican home-made tamale, then let me tell you- you are the saddest person I know. Go, right now, to Mexico (or your favorite Mexican neighbor), and beg, pay, sell your horse, whatever it takes to get them to make one for you because, holy heaven batman, these are amazing.

We had quite a few Mexican neighbors when I was growing up in the boonies of my hometown in SW Oregon. There was this one family in particular that had a few children and lived just around the corner. The mother, Maria (I believe that was her name, but if it wasn't it's probably close), would occasionally make batches of tamales and sell them to us. My mom would buy a bushel full, and we'd have a feast! Ever since those childhood years, I have searched high and wide for tamales that were even half as good. I've ordered them at a few different restaurants, only to have my hopes dashed to bits. Roommates and friends have made them, but (sorry guys), it just wasn't the same.

Oh what a happy person I was today when I came home from the store, just in time, to see a big white van slowly cruising along our parking lot, a tired hispanic woman trailed by half a dozen tired looking kids, and the smell of heaven wafting in my direction. Could it be?

Yes!! It was!! Authentic tamales for sale!!! Chicken, pork, and cheese!!! I promptly bought 6 for $5, skipped into my little apartment, put the kid down for a nap, and gobbled up my first real tamale in years... there are no words to describe the pure joy of my tummy right now.

I know some of you are thinking that it's a little shady to buy food out of a beat up little van. But here's my thinking, it's a family so I seriously doubt that there's anything in them that is considered "illegal". Secondly, I don't care if they're made out of goat head, I'm still eating them.

SOOOOOOO GOOD!

I wish I had bought a few dozen more.. I'm fairly certain that there won't be any left for Ben. It's his fault for working till 10:30!! haha!

And now, I go to enjoy the rest of my tamales in my quiet apartment, perhaps with a little jack johnson to accompany me.

Best. Day. Ever.

5 comments:

  1. I have to totally agree with you! They are seriously the best. Joe has a friend that makes and sells them. They are SOOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you!!!! and you think I'm a super sad person. I figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we lived in Arkansas, there was a Mexican family in the ward, and they would always bring a huge pot of tamales to the ward potlucks. I hold them responsible for my pregnancy weight gain! But it was soooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are stinkin' hilarious- I love it! That family stopped by our place too, and this is probably the fourth or fifth time- so there's always next time too. (Ya know, cuz I'm pretty sure Ben didn't get any. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and that is good price. I remember tacos in Tijuana 3 for 1$

    ReplyDelete