Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Question/Flashback/Jealous Rant

Some friends of mine from high school just had a baby Tuesday morning, and posted the absolutely adorable pictures today. I love looking at these pics because they take me back to those first few days of having Malcom. I know it was only about four months ago, but it seems longer and my memory is already fuzzy... I blame the lack of sleep on this. It seems I've had a lot of old friends that have had babies in the past six months... lets see.. I'm going to say around 9? No joke! And I think I'm forgetting some... it's hard to keep track.

Here's my question- how on earth are these women popping out babies and still looking drop dead gorgeous right after?!?

When I had
Malcom and I had finally gotten to my recovery room (it was around 1am, so a few hours after he decided to make his debut), I had the opportunity to go to the bathroom. I remember waddling in there and seeing myself for the first time in all my post-baby, hospital gown glory: I had these swollen patches of blood-shot eyes, my clammy, pumpkin head was covered by matted and greasy hair, and I was swashing-bloated from head to toe. I swear my little fingers and toes looked like meaty pork sausages, and I felt so puffy that if you hurled me into the ocean I would float like a beach ball. I stopped dead in my tracks at the nasty site, and I thought, "What?! Did I die?" Surely, I had at least been run over by a garbage truck! I looked and felt like something out of a Tim Burton film, only grosser.

You have to remember that I had done my best to look pretty. Earlier that morning, before going to the hospital to be induced, I had painted my toenails, showered, slathered myself with my favorite citrus-scented lotion, done my make up and blow dried my hair. I'll admit it, I looked foxy for a nine month pregnant lady.

Wow.

Are we allowed to use photoshop on these pictures? Are you bringing in professional lighting crews and make-up artists?
The jig's up ladies, time to pass over the secret.

That completes my jealous rant on this subject. Thank you for tuning in.
(And a big o' fatty congrats to all the new(er) mamas and papas out there! You all really are gorgeous!)

7 comments:

  1. Vicki, I have wondered what the secret was myself. I always look horrible afterward. Sometimes it's a comfort when I see a picture of someone in the hospital that looks as tired and worn out as I was at that point... Just remember we might not look all that great after giving birth but I think we have the genes to be pretty foxy in our old age. Rarrwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I've heard of women putting on makeup after having the baby to look OK in pictures. I don't remember caring then, though I wish I would have. I just remember looking like a puffy, droopy, walking stretch mark. Sometimes I still avoid the mirror because of that memory. At least our husbands still think we're attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not find your blog till now?! And you already have mine you little stinker:) I loved this post, you are hilarious!! I am so looking forward to keeping up with you guys on here:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shorter/ less traumatic the labor, the better ones makeup ehem... "adheres".

    I put makeup on before I gave birth to kayley, and I think it only made things worse. :)

    Of course, I used the hospital "no-rinse" shampoo, too. Might as well have scrubbed bacon into my scalp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit--I'm one of the cheaters who waited to have my picture taken until after I had washed my face and put on a little mascara. Although now I wish I hadn't. I wish I had a true picture of the first time I held my baby instead of a cheat shot. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make me giggle...the end!

    ReplyDelete