Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 vs. 2011

New Year's is a fun holiday, though it's always seemed just a little silly to me. Really, the passing of another calendar year!? I'm not sure if I've ever understood the huge celebrations that people put on... people talk of "clean slates" and "second chances", but could you just as easily celebrate a new month? Week? Day? Odd.

I guess in the very least it's a good time for reflection. 2010 was busy, but I think 2011 will have more significance in my journal for obvious reasons. 2010 feels more like a year full of small milestones that will lead into 2011. I realized the other day that Ben and I always have especially important things happen in odd years:

2005: Ben and I met, became BFFs. :)
2007: Seal the BFF deal and get hitched
2009: Produce insanely adorable and perfectly behaved child, AKA "Malcom"
2011: Expect insanely adorable and perfectly behaved child #2, AKA "Twitch" (for now), Ben finally graduates in December!! Move out of Rexburg for internship? Well, we'll just have to see how that plays out.

Now comes the discussion of New Year's resolutions. I gave up on those a loooong time ago after I realized that I fell into the do-really-well-for-a-week-then-forget-about-it crowd. A friend of mine wrote on her blog last year about how she picks a word as a resolution, rather than a physical goal like "being on time more" or "eat healthier and exersize 2Xs a day". Instead, she focuses on that word, and strives to bring it into all the other facets of her life.

Last year I decided to to go with "strive". To me, it means more than just making sure I got things done, but that I did my best. It was a wonderful word.. Sometimes when I was having trouble getting things done that I needed to, the word would pop into my mind and I'd instantly be reminded that I wanted to be the kind of person who strived to be the best, and actually do what I told myself I should. Sometimes when I would go out running at night it would pop back into my mind, just as I thought, "Ehhhh, I've done the bare minimum. I can stop pretty soon." I was always able to pull a few extra miles. It was very inspiring to me!  So thanks to my friend Becca for sharing that last year and teaching me a new way to go about resolutions. :)

I've been pondering what word to focus on this year. It's a hard choice because I want to make sure I choose something that will really help me with my goals and the important events coming up. I keep coming back to "Patience". I know that as we get closer to the end of this pregnancy it'll be something I'll have to work really hard for, and then again when we bring home a newborn. Oh goodness, a newborn and a toddler... I'll have to have patience with my kids, Ben, and myself as we have to adjust to being a family of 4 and having those inevitable sleepless nights. I'll have to have a lot of patience with myself while I learn how to balance life, to find time to take care of myself and loose those pesky pregnancy pounds (oooooh, how I LOATH pregnancy pounds!!!). Ben will be finishing up school and working, so I'll have to have a  lot of patience with him while he's so busy, and as we look forward to the end of a llllllllooooooooooonnnng journey here in Rexburg.

Yep. This year is definitely going to be overflowing with challenges and wonderful blessings. I'm excited! 2010 was good, but this year will be an adventure!

That's all for now. The man child has been napping for a few hours, so I need to hop in the shower and make myself pretty before he wakes. Love to all, and happy new calendar year! :)

1 comment: