Saturday, April 9, 2011

...And We Named Him...

*Drum roll*

Calvin Van Matheson


Out of all the names on our list, I'll admit that Calvin actually wasn't one of our favorite-favorites, in fact, it's not even Scottish like we were aiming for. Somehow it just seemed to fit him more than any of the other names. Calvin shares the same middle name as Ben, who got this name from his Grandpa Van. In a way, it he's named after both his daddy and his great grandpa.

Last night was our first night home with him, and goodness, brought back a lot of fuzzy sleep-deprived memories from Malcom's newborn days. I knew I wouldn't sleep but wow, did I not sleep! I think Calvin might be getting his days and nights mixed up. I hope we can get that straightened out before long, otherwise I'm going to be one tired mommy! Seriously though, I didn't get him to actually go to sleep for more than 15 minutes until about 7:00 this morning. Of course, Malcom uncharacteristically woke up screaming at 7:45am because he wet the bed (usually doesn't wake up until at least 8:30). I hoped that Ben would get up with him, but the poor man looked so completely out that I just didn't have the heart to wake him. I nearly cried and laughed at the same time as I realized that yeah, this is what it's like to have two little ones! I'm sure things will smooth out a bit once we figure out our balance and schedule. It just takes time! I still feel overwhelmingly blessed. I love our little family!!

Anyway, I also have to apologize to a lot of people out there that have called/texted/emailed lately. I've had my very tired hands full! I'm sorry I haven't replied or called people back... I promise it's not personal, I've just had a shift in priorities and frankly, I'm lacking ambition to do anything besides the necessary. We appreciate all of the excitement and congratulations though!!! I love all of the notes and calls from people, it makes us feel wonderfully loved. Thanks everyone!

Time to feed he little one. Love to all! Wish me luck in my quest for sleep!

6 comments:

  1. Having 2 kids a challenge....but after the first 2 weeks you kind of seem to get the hang of it and it doesn't seem so hard! Although I'm still not sure if a good nites sleep ever returns.
    Good luck and enjoy the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 months, give it 5 months to figure it out.... Thats how long it took for us... Life got a whole lot better after that... Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah vicki I fill for ya. Don't worry it'll get better. We love you and remember, we are only a few blocks away if you need anything :) that includes watching your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh- he's here! CONGRATS!!!!! And don't worry- you'll get the hang of it faster than you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats vicki and ben!!! he is adorable. and i love his name. i hope your are finding a little bit of sleep here and there. seeing your little one is definitely makes me baby hungry! i love babies!! :) and so good to hear that all went great with the delivery. so happy for you and your little family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations he is so handsome, as for the sleep thing I have hope that Calvin will figure out this whole day and night thing. If you need anything just let me know Im not too far away.

    ReplyDelete