Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Band-aids Make Everything...Better?

The boys caught some sort of horrible sick-bug that's been floating around lately. It's awful- sore throats, sore eyes, sore everything, sneezing, coughing, chills, fever.... pretty much anything that you can think of, they have. Poor Malcom wondered into our bedroom this morning as Ben was hurriedly getting ready for work complaining about his eyes hurting. I rolled over in bed and mumbled something about how the little guy just needed to go back to bed and get some more rest (it had been a long night). Malcom kept insisting that he needed band-aides to make his eyes better. I remember thinking, "That's a terrible idea!" But to be honest here, I was just too exhausted to do the "mom" thing and let Ben handle it. I was back asleep in seconds...

I woke up later snuggling my sweet little three-year-old... and were those band-aids on his eyes??!?  Good heavens, had Ben actually put them on him??? I was horrified! It's scary enough to wake up and think that your son has somehow lost his eyeballs (skin-colored band-aids, extreme near-sightedness, and a dose of sleep-deprivation do not mix!!!)... but then when I saw and remembered what was going on, I realized (again) why it was such a bad idea. These band-aids are made to withstand all sorts of wear and tear. Once you put them on, you're practically committing to wearing them for life. I'm pretty sure they come from the same lineage of persistence of twinkies, cockroaches, and car salesmen! Our poor son was not only going to be running into things all day, but he was going to eventually have to peel those blasted things off of his face. Brows, lids, lashes, delicate hairs and skin...

(This is what Malcom does when you tell him to smile for the camera. Haha! It's a good thing they left a little peek-out-area for him to see so he could get around!) 

(Side view... Also, I just love his profile.)


Malcom didn't even bother with the band-aides until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. By then he was tired of being blind and only seeing maybe 10% of what he usually see. He whined, cried, whimpered, and oh- my poor little boy, did he struggle to get those things off! It took him 3 hours to remove them. I felt so bad for him! Admittedly, it was comical at the same time. I hope he learned his lesson and will be more selective on where he wants band-aides placed in the future.

(Here's a random photo of Calvin that was in the mix. He's holding on to my pant leg here sayin', "No mom, you're  the coolest!" 

... or, "Oh! Look at that neat gadget in mom's hand that I'm not supposed to touch? I should touch it!")

Tomato-Tomahto. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I could not stop laughing! Miss you guys tons!

    ReplyDelete