Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day 2011

 We had a wonderful 4th of July. To start off the weekend, I ran in my first 5k race! 3.1 miles is a lot longer than I remember it being last summer, but then again I also just popped a baby out 3 months ago. Ha. Ben brought the kids and cheered me on. I think my favorite part of the race was just seeing them at the finish line, big grins on their faces. I love my family!!! (Here's me just before the race, and then crossing the finish line)


On Monday (the 4th), we headed to the Rexburg parade at 10am, followed by a stroll at Porter Park and a stop at Broulims for some last minute picnic fixin's. The kids napped, then we headed out to Egin Lake (it's about a 25 minute drive NW of here). Sadly, the state is making visitors pay $5 to get in. Lame sauce. It's beautiful though, and the water is only waist high at it's deepest. We met up with Ben's brother, Luke, some other kids from "back home" (Ben and Luke home, not mine, haha), their roommates and some of their FHE sisters. We didn't care. We love feeding people so it was great, even if we didn't know half of the people there. :)

Calvin enjoyed himself, parked under a tree/bush thing while we set up food and played. He's such a talkative little guy! Here he is just chatting it up and batting at the leaves swaying right above him. 

 Ben's brother took Malcom out for a kayak ride, which he loved.
After that, Ben started brewing up the rootbeer and BBQing some pork chops (with Malcom's help).


Here's a random pic of some of the friends and friends-of-friends that came (Calvin's in there charming the ladies, of course)

And then our friends Matt and Brittanie played a game known as "Toss the Malcom".


After the we were done eating and playing, we packed up our stuff and headed back to Rexburg for a change of clothes and fireworks. We went to our usual spot near the skate park and waited, waited, waited.... the fireworks didn't even start until 11:30pm! I guess the rodeo went on longer than planned.. it wouldn't have been so annoying if we didn't have two little kids up way past their bedtime. True, I could have taken them home and skipped it, but I'm too much of a traditionalist for that! What's an Independence Day with out fireworks??? 

4th of July, what a great holiday. Love my family, love our friends, love our country. Happy birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment