Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pioneer Days in Nevada


I know I've missed a few weeks, but it's summer and therefore to be expected. :)

Last week we went down to Ben's hometown in Nevada for the Pioneer Day festivities. It's a tiny town, but Pioneer Day is serious business. There's something going on all the time during that weekend every year: three days of rodeo, parade, community games and a little program, dance, fireworks and then there's all the family goings-on to go along with it. In short, it's a jam-packed weekend of fun.... that is, unless you accidentally bring a stomach virus and happen to infect the entire family with it. I blame the manchild... and Ben for this one.. lol

In our defense we didn't know we were contagious still! Ben only had it for a day or two earlier in the week, and Malcom was on very tail end (THANK GOODNESS!). I never did get it. We did get to have a lot of fun, despite a few days of having a house full of lifeless, puking bodies. So here are some pictures from the fun!

The first thing we did when we got to Lund was to go to the spring. It's only about 50 yards away from the house. I gotta tell you though, it's really cool! Literally, yes, but the water is crystal clear. It looks like it's only ankle deep, but it gets about waist deep. There's beautiful plants in and around it, and swarming with beautiful teal and orange dragonflies. Here's a picture of Ben and his sister Betsy getting in the water, with his brother Jack in the front. I just like this picture because of the faces they were making! Haha.. the water wasn't that cold, but for a couple of "desert rats" its an intense experience. :)

Looking straight down into the water. It's waist deep here and the plants only come up to about mid-calf height. Trippy, yes? Beautiful plants though!

One of many dragonflies:

Malcom riding his first horse with Grandma Doreen




Riding his first tractor with Grandpa Lance:

Ben found a baby bird in the grass the last day we were there. He ran inside and got our little niece Sage (who is 4 and cute as a button), and they caught it together. Sage loved that little bird!

Sage and Malcom had a great time playing the piano together. When I brought out the camera Sage gave Malcom a little kiss on the cheek. The next picture shows Malcom's reaction- can't you just hear him go "Yuuuuck!" :)



















Sooo many pictures.. oi. I think that's enough for now. Our thanks goes to the Mathesons for giving us such a great time, being wonderful hosts, and not hating us when we made them all wish they were dead. ;) Also to the Van Ausdals for sharing their tent and snacks with us, for being so kind and tolerant of Malcom in the wee hours of the morning, and for also not hating us when we made them sick. We love you all!! Can't wait till Grandpa Matheson's wedding in August! :D

2 comments:

  1. The spring thing looks awesome! We have tons of black and white dragonflies in our yard all summer--they're fun. Sickness isn't so fun, but taking family vacations is worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcom is rocking the hats in these pictures, I must say. :) Betsys face in the one picture of them just getting into the water is stinking hilarious! OH Vicki! I'm so glad you updated your blog! We've been praying for you all to get better, and now we know we can stop praying for you and start praying for Bens fam. :) Just kidding. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete